INTERACTIVE BILINGUAL AND SINGLISH-SPEAKING ROBOTIC COMPANION ARRIVES IN SINGAPORE
Robi by DeAgostini is a build-it-yourself robot that aims to bring families closer together
Singapore, 8 July 2016 – Robi, an interactive bilingual robotic companion that also speaks Singlish is now available for purchase in Singapore. Robi is a fusion of sophisticated design and advanced Japanese technology that was designed to provide interactive companionship with the entire family. To provide an in-depth understanding of how Robi works, an educational magazine along with instructions and model parts, are delivered over the course of 70 issues. Families and robotic enthusiasts can look forward to assembling Robi with their own hands.
From 9 to 10 July, families can learn more about Robi’s emotive functions at a roadshow in Marina Square Shopping Mall. Professor Tomotaka Takahashi, the creator of Robi, and Yujin Kimura, Consumer Robotics Manager, will be on site to introduce Robi to visitors. To celebrate Robi’s debut in Singapore, there will also be a special performance featuring 100 Robi robots in a synchronized dance.
Incorporating cutting-edge robotics technology from Japan, Robi has become the bestselling humanoid robot worldwide. He can communicate with users, even expressing emotion through the colour of his eyes. He can talk, sing, dance and control selected household appliances. He has an extensive vocabulary of more than 250 phrases, providing a deep level of interaction between humans and robots. The specially designed Singapore version of Robi is bilingual, and can speak English and Mandarin, as well as some Singlish phrases.
“I truly believe that artificial intelligence and the creation of responsive robots can bring tremendous benefits to people and society, and I dream of fostering closer relationships between robots and human beings. We’re excited to introduce Robi to Singapore, and hope to inspire the next generation of Singaporeans to harness technology to improve the lives of citizens and build stronger communities,” says Professor Tomotaka Takahashi
Aside from providing assembly instructions, the magazine delivered each week will also include educational materials to teach children more about the field of robotics. Robi has also been designed such that no prior skills are needed by either adult or children to assemble. The only tool required is a screwdriver that comes along with the magazine. As digitization goes mainstream and becomes more advanced, the hands-on learning experience from building Robi will provide children with the opportunity to understand the basics of robotics technology.
As one of the world’s leading robotics scientists, Professor Takahashi created Robi exclusively for DeAgostini. His keen interest in robotics grew from a young age, when he patented his first invention while he was still a student, and founded Robo Garage – a robotics group based in Kyoto University - upon graduation. Professor Tomotaka is responsible for many key developments in robot design, bringing to life Kirobo, a 3.5m-tall earthquake rescue droid, and he has even put the world’s first humanoid robot astronaut in space in 2013.
Robi retails from $28.90 per issue and is currently available at selected stores across the following retailers: 7-Eleven, Books Kinokuniya, FairPrice, FairPrice Online, Giant Hypermarket, MPH Bookstores, Popular, SPC (Singapore Petroleum Company), SPH Buzz, Toy Or Game, Warehouse Club and Times Bookstores.
*The first issue will be available at a promotional price of just $9.90.
Customers will also be entitled to promotions when they purchase Robi via its online store. More details can be found here: www.robi.sg
Members of the public can visit the Robi roadshow on 9 July from 11am – 8:30pm and 10 July from 11am – 8pm at the Marina Square Shopping Mall.
Key Features and Functions of Robi:
· Dimensions: Height: 34 cm – Weight: Approx. 1kg
· Light-up LEDs: Built-in LEDs allow Robi’s eyes and mouth to respond to words and movement. His eyes can glow red, yellow, green and blue, while his mouth will glow red.
· Speech-recognition Board: Robi has a sophisticated speech recognition board programmed to understand different phrases and reply appropriately. The Singapore version is bilingual, and can speak English and Mandarin, as well as some Singlish phrases.
· Microcontroller Board: The high-performance microcontroller board controls important functions such as Robi’s motion and reactions.
· Speaker: Robi’s chest includes a miniature speaker for his spoken responses.
· Remote-control Module: Emits infrared signals like a remote control to operate compatible TV sets.
· Motion Sensors: Robi’s motion sensors detect human presence and will turn his face in response to movement.
· Servo Motors: Robi’s movements are controlled by a total of 20 servos. They use the Robi-servo command system to ensure smooth movement, and have simple, robust wiring connections.
· Dual-purpose ‘Scarf’: Robi’s light-blue scarf functions as a convenient handle for lifting him without damage to his joints and internal wiring.
· Timer: Robi can count down a specified number of minutes, and tell you when the time is up.
· Cleaning: Robi can use his feet to polish a tabletop or hard floor surface.
· Security Setting: Robi can be set to ask for a password and respond with an alert if he gets the wrong answer
· Games: Robi knows how to play a variety of games, including ‘soccer’ and quizzes.
· Battery Charging: When Robi’s batteries begin to run low, he says ‘I’m hungry’ to let you know. Then it’s time to turn on his charging seat, so Robi can start to recharge.
Robi is suitable for kids above the age of 6. Parental supervision is recommended for younger children as there are small parts.
About DeAgostini Editore S.p.A
Geographer Giovanni DeAgostini founded his mapping company in Rome in line with the 1901 establishment of the Association of Geographical Societies. Within 100 years, the company has risen to become a world-recognised producer of diverse cutting-edge publications, capturing more than 50% market share of part work globally.
Today, DeAgostini Editore S.p.A has extended its reach to 33 countries all around the world, continuing to be a pioneer and leader you can trust.
For the LATEST tech updates,
FOLLOW us on our Twitter
LIKE us on our FaceBook
SUBSCRIBE to us on our YouTube Channel!