Singapore - LG Electronics (LG) today announced the arrival of LG G Flex in Singapore, the first device in the smartphone market that is curved to follow the contour of the face. The G Flex is the latest device in LG's premium G Series which is set to create a new milestone in smartphone revolution, incorporating proprietary innovations from other LG companies in the form of the display and battery. It also boasts new user experience (UX) features that take advantage of the phone's curved form factor.
“LG has continued to learn from consumers and has broken boundaries with a distinctive and revolutionary product that is shaped to enhance consumers’ usage experience,” said Mr. Scott Jung, Managing Director, LG Electronics Singapore “The LG G Flex with its distinctive curved design, innovative hardware and consumer-centric UX sets the standard in the smartphone industry and represents the most significant smartphone development.”
Form + Function: Design that Understands Human Curves
The vertically curved design of the LG G Flex reduces the distance between the user's mouth to the microphone when the device is held against the ear, as traditional telephone handsets used to. It is also optimized to deliver improved voice and sound quality, increasing the sound level by 3dB compared to typical flat smartphones. Furthermore, the curved design offers a more reassuring grip and fits more comfortably in one's back pocket. In landscape mode, the display offers a cinematic experience to fit the contours of human's eyes, with the result being the most comfortable viewing angle for watching videos or playing games.
The LG G Flex also features the Rear Key function which was first introduced in the LG G2. Devoid of any buttons on the sides, there is less chance of accidentally powering off the phone and the convenience of using one’s index finger to adjust the volume when conversing is maintained.
Innovation Delivered Through Collaboration
The development of LG G Flex was only possible through the successful collaboration with its sister companies, LG Display and LG Chem. The 6-inch display found in the G Flex is the world's largest Plastic OLED (POLED) display developed and mass produced specifically for smartphones. The ultra-thin, ultra-light flexible POLED display and curved OLED panel are built on plastic substrates instead of glass, giving LG G Flex its unique shape and durability. The POLED display is brighter and more precise thanks to the application of Real RGB, which contains all three sub-pixels - red, green and blue - in one pixel.
LG Chem developed the world's first curved battery technology specifically for application in LG G Flex. The curved battery in the G Flex is designed with LG Chem's patented Stack & Folding technology, reducing the physical stress on the battery pack when in the curved form and provides better stability and performance. Despite its thin form, the LG G Flex battery has a capacity of 3,500mAh, enough power for more than a full day of use.
Among the several new technologies, the LG G Flex is the first smartphone to apply a "Self Healing" coating on the back cover. The elastic coating has the ability to recover from the daily wear-and-tear scratches and nicks that un-cased smartphones are likely to receive, helping it to maintain a brand-new look.
Users of LG G Flex will have a wider selection in the ability to enjoy music in various formats - MP3, CD quality or 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback. UX features, such as KnockON, Guest Mode and Plug & Pop, which were positively received when first introduced in the LG G2, can also be found in the LG G Flex. The LG G Flex also includes an array of new UX features:
- QuickTheater gives users quick access to photos, videos and YouTube right from the lock screen. By touching the screen and dragging outwards along the curved surface with both fingers, the apps appear with the effect of theater curtains being drawn.
- Dual Window divides the wide 6-inch screen into two separate windows for more effective multitasking.
- Swing Lockscreen alters the image on the lockscreen depending on how the G Flex is held.
- Face Detection Indicator displays the LED on the Rear Key in green to confirm status of face detection and focus during self shots using the rear camera.
- Camera Timer flashes the Rear Key LED to indicate that the countdown has begun.
The LG G Flex will be available for pre-order at M1, Singtel and Starhub on December 8 at a recommended retail price of S$1,088.00. Purchase of LG G Flex during the pre-order period comes with a LG Vest Cover (Worth $48.00) and a LG Tone+ Bluetooth headset (Worth $178.00). Stores availability will start on December 21 at M1, Singtel, Starhub and other authorized LG mobile retailers.
For more information about LG G Flex, please visit http://www.lg.com/sg/mobile-phones/lg-G-Flex-D958.
- Chipset: 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 (MSM 8974)
GPU: Adreno 330, 450MHz
- Display: 6-inch HD (1280 x 720), Curved POLED (Real RGB)
- Memory: 2GB LP DDR3 RAM / 32GB eMMc
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,500mAh (embedded)
- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
- Size: 160.5 x 81.6 x 7.9 - 8.7mm
- Weight: 177g
- Network: LTE Cat4 (up to 150Mbps) / HSPA+ / GSM
- Connectivity: BT 4.0 / USB 3.0 compatible / WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) / NFC
- Color: Titan Silver
- Other: Hi-Fi 24bit, 192kHz Playback, Swing Lockscreen, Dual Window, QuickTheater, Face Detection Indicator, KnockON, Answer Me, Plug & Pop, QuickRemote, QSlide, Slide Aside, Clip Tray, Guest Mode and etc.
For the LATEST tech updates,
FOLLOW us on our Twitter
LIKE us on our FaceBook
SUBSCRIBE to us on our YouTube Channel!