Intel Accelerates Industry’s Transition to Cloud-Ready Communications Networks
New Products and Ecosystem Collaborations Will Help the Industry Modernize Today’s Networks and Build the Foundation for 5G
- Expansion of Intel® Xeon® Processor D-1500 Product Family and new Intel® Ethernet Controllers boost performance and bandwidth, and enable more intelligence in the network for rapid delivery of services to consumers and businesses
- Intel collaborates with industry leaders globally and announces that América Móvil* selected Intel as a technology partner to upgrade its network
- Intel grows its networking ecosystem to drive development and deployment of open, industry-standard solutions and announces collaboration with Red Hat* through Intel® Network Builders Fast Track
SINGAPORE, November 10, 2015 – Billions of devices are becoming connected – from smartphones to cars to factories – and that brings new use cases and service opportunities that drive unprecedented growth in network and storage demands. Today’s networks are not designed in a way that allows communications providers to quickly or cost effectively expand their infrastructure. To realize the potential of the Internet of Things (IoT) and enhance mobile computing experiences, communications networks need to be re-architected, with increased programmability and built-in flexibility throughout the infrastructure to handle the anticipated increase in volume and complexity of data traffic.
“Networks are facing extraordinary demands as more devices become connected and new digital services are offered,” said Sandra Rivera, vice president, Data Center Group and general manager, Network Platforms Group, Intel. “Building intelligence throughout the communications infrastructure and using a standards-based approach offers service providers the foundation to build agile, cloud-ready networks that allow them to expand their services capabilities.”
Intel Expands Ecosystem and Product Portfolio to Lay the Foundation for Cloud-Ready Networks
Intel is working closely with industry leaders, including Cisco, Ericsson, SK Telecom and Verizon to accelerate the move toward more flexible and responsive networks today and to lay the foundation for future 5G networks. Intel offers cutting-edge technology that increases network capabilities and bandwidth and is growing an ecosystem to deliver standards-based solutions. Intel announced:
· América Móvil recently selected Intel to be a technology consultant in an effort to evolve its networks to be more flexible, efficient and scalable. Intel will provide support and expertise to América Móvil as it modernizes its infrastructure to accelerate the launch of new services, automate its processes and reduce its network operation costs in Latin America and Europe.
· New offerings in the Intel® Xeon® Processor D-1500 Product Family provide a foundation for extending intelligence from the network core to the edge for improved performance and lower latency. The nine new processors offer high performance, low power and twice the maximum memory of previous generations in an integrated System-on-a-Chip, making them well suited for various networking, cloud storage, enterprise storage and IoT applications that operate in dense, rugged environments. More than 50 networking, cloud storage, enterprise storage and IoT system designs using the Intel Xeon Processor D-1500 Product Family are in development.
· The new Intel® Ethernet Multi-host Controller FM10000 Family combines proven Ethernet technology with advanced switch resources for use in high performance communications network applications and dense server platforms. With up to 200Gbps of high-bandwidth multi-host connectivity and multiple 100GbE ports, it delivers exceptional packet processing capability and significantly reduces performance bottlenecks in moving network traffic within and between servers.
· The new Intel® Ethernet Controller X550 family is a low-power, cost-effective 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity solution that can offer a performance boost to data center servers and network appliances.
· Intel is actively driving a networking ecosystem and has grown the Intel® Network Builders program to more than 180 companies. In August 2015, Intel introduced the Intel® Network Builders Fast Track to increase the pace of innovation in the networking ecosystem by optimizing hardware and software solutions, supporting technology integration within the ecosystem and driving interoperable solutions.
· Red Hat is the first ISV to actively contribute to all key focus areas of the Intel Network Builders Fast Track. Red Hat brings strong expertise in commercializing open source technologies and has a longstanding collaboration with Intel to deliver standards-based solutions to the telecommunications industry. Through the expanded collaboration, the two companies will work together on optimizations to deliver carrier-grade solutions based on Red Hat software and Intel technology, jointly develop solution blueprints for communications networking use cases, and perform interoperability testing of their platforms with other ecosystem solutions.
For the LATEST tech updates,
FOLLOW us on our Twitter
LIKE us on our FaceBook
SUBSCRIBE to us on our YouTube Channel!